How to Budget for Your Pregnancy
,
 

Starting a family requires careful planning in advance. Understanding what pregnancy care needs you should prepare for and how you can afford them will be important in ensuring you and your new family have access to all critical medical treatments and services before, during and after pregnancy.

Solely relying on Medicare would lead pregnancy to cost around anywhere between $9,000 to $30,000 whereas private insurance coverage will bring the range down to $2,500 – $20,000. Every pregnancy is different and you may need additional services.

What’s covered by Medicare vs. private health fund

Private health funds will cover most of the services offered by Medicare with an added benefit of allowing you more options and flexibility. Most doctor visits and in-hospital treatments will be covered by private health insurance plans. You’d be able to choose the hospital where you’d stay in before and after labour. The cost of these prenatal consultations with obstetricians or gynecologists of your choice will be covered by both Medicare and your private health fund. Medicare will cover 75% of what would’ve been the cost at a public hospital. Your private health fund will cover the remaining 25% of the cost if received at a public hospital. Any additional charges beyond that will be borne by you. Special needs such as IVF or other assisted reproductive services can also be accommodated by private hospital covers.

The only thing that wouldn’t be covered by the private health covers is the additional outpatient tests such as ultrasounds. These can be provided at affordable rates via Medicare at public birthing centres.

Additional benefits such as birthing classes and lactation consultation are offered by some health insurance providers through the extras covers. Extras covers can also include non-PBS drugs and other services that may be of value to new mums. See here for possible care needs during your pregnancy. Holding private hospital and extras covers will help reduce the out-of-pocket costs related to your pregnancy and birth and also enable you to get access to the best care services available.

It is highly recommended that you insure your baby before birth so he/she can access all necessary medical checkups or procedures if urgently needed. Some providers allow you to transition from a couples plan to a family plan with some waiting periods waived or add a dependent at no extra cost. You should select a health insurance policy which offers the best coverage for you, your partner, and your unborn child at least 12 months before to ensure a sufficient level of coverage for the entire family.

Use our search engine to find the best policy for the immediate and longer-term needs of the family you are trying to start.

How our service works

Enter a few details
1. Enter a few details

We’ll ask you some questions to better understand your needs and find cover that’s right for you.

Get An Expert Policy Comparison
2. Get An Expert Policy Comparison

Review your policy options and get a personalised quote with a health insurance expert.

Apply Online from your Quote or over the phone
3. Apply Online from your Quote or over the phone

When you’ve found the policy that’s right for you, apply online or give us a call and we’ll set up everything for you.

How we rate 5/5
heart rate
Very helpful

The person I spoke to was very helpful and not at all pushy. We ended up saving $1400 per year on family hospital cover.

Sarah HC
How we rate 5/5
heart rate
Great service & saved some money

I came across this service from a Facebook post and thought I had nothing to lose. And indeed I had everything to gain! Liz was most helpful - she did the hard yards in comparing my current cover with other funds in the market, and I ended up changing from our current provider with whom we'd been for over 30 years to another fund, providing high level benefits for a lower monthly premium. It was a seamless process with Liz making all the arrangements.

Margaret Blade
How we rate 5/5
heart rate
Fantastic customer service

Precise and very informative. Approach was very polite and friendly with a low key, non pushy style mixed with good humor, definitely very user friendly with sincere approach to needs of consumer and finally with an added bonus of excellent product knowledge. Thanks Tia.

Mike
How we rate 5/5
heart rate
I have only just joined

I have only just joined, but the advice and help I was given in finding the right policy for me was exceptional.

John McKay
5/5 heart rate
Tia’s service was great

She listened to everything I needed and I was able to save over $1,000 for the year on my health insurance. Thank you so much Tia :) Sarah, Greater Melbourne

Compare Now